BY DIPANDITA DUTTA
Who likes khichdi? Well, I do and so does the child at home. My grandmother would make awesome ‘Khiccha.’ It’s a Sanskrit word that means a dish made from rice and legumes, aka khichdi. Largely, khichdi is made from rice and lentils, but there are some other regional variations like Bajra Khichdi and Moong Khichdi. In Indian culture, it is the first solid healthy baby food for 6-months old.
Today, I’m going to let you in on a secret recipe that will blow your mind. Read on for my recipe.
Tale of the humble khichdi:
I hated khichdi. My love for this food didn’t develop overnight. Back in the day, my grandmother made khichdi only when we got sick or had an upset stomach, so I would always associate Amma’s Khiccha with sickness. It’s only later that I realised why it was called an absolute ‘comfort food.’ In my growing-up years, the good-old ‘boring khichdi’ was served with condiments such as yogurt, masala, popudum, and choice of pickle. From then on, there was no looking back. My story of love (and respect) for moong dal khichdi grew strong.
Khichdi as your baby’s weaning food:
1. Start as small portions, and you can increase the quantity gradually.
2. There is at least more than one type of khichdi recipe for a 6-month baby.
3. Moong Daal khichdi for babies is the stepping stone; especially in case he/she has not started having khichdi yet. It’s a healthy baby snack simple to cook, doesn’t need special ingredients, highly adaptable to tastes, and is a one-pot meal.
Healthy baby food – Green beans khichdi recipe
1. 3 tbsp Slurrp Farm Moong Dal Khichdi Powder
2. ¼ cup chopped green beans
3. 1 tomato chopped
4. 2 tbsp chopped onion
5. 1 tbsp ghee/clarified butter
6. 1 small stick cinnamon
7. ¼ tsp jeera
8. 1 small piece ginger
9. ¼ tsp turmeric powder
10 .½ tsp salt
1. Pressure cook the chopped green beans, chopped tomatoes, and a small piece of ginger. After 6 to 7 whistles, strain the veggies from the stock.
2. Take 150 ml water in a pan and add 3 tbsp of moong dal khichdi powder. Stir continuously for 2 to 3 mins until it reaches a smooth lump-free consistency.
3. Blend the boiled veggies into a smooth paste. In a pan, heat 1 tbsp ghee. Sauté jeera and cinnamon stick. Then add chopped onion, blended veggies, salt, and pepper powder.
4. Sauté for 1 min and add moong dal khichdi paste. Add vegetable stock and stir to avoid lumps. Let it cook for 2 to 3 mins and the khichdi is done.
Each time you can take a basic khichdi recipe a notch up by amping up its nutritional quotient. Check out these 3 different versions of healthy baby food
1. Palak khichdi – An upgraded version of healthy baby food which has all the benefits of khichdi with nutrients from spinach. It gives the recipe an interesting colour along with a distinctive flavour. Click here for the step-by-step recipe.
2. Moong dal Khichdi – Simple, healthy, easy to digest khichdi that your little one will love. It is one of the best plant-based sources of protein, and it’s great for growing babies. Click here for the step-by-step recipe.
3. Tomato khichdi – Next time someone cringes on hearing Khichdi make them this and they will be a fan for the rest of their life. This tangy and flavourful khichdi is a healthier spin with tons of veggies in it. Click here for the step-by-step recipe.