BY DIPANDITTA DUTTA
Khichdi is made in different ways across India. In a few places, it’s made like porridge, while at other places it’s served like pulao. Also, a variety of lentils can be used in khichdi recipe preparation. The most common being moong dal. It’s actually one of the most loved and recommended daal-type from our list of lentils. Easy on our stomachs and mushy texture for the little tummies.
Khichdi is generally assumed to be bland and boring, but I think differently. However, I make it whenever we want to eat something light and homemade. Moong dal khichdi is given to babies as their first food. It can be appetizing, can also be spiced up and served with an assortment of condiments. The same khichdi can be a go-to food for a sick person during his/her recovery. While making moong dal khichdi for babies you can afford to play with the texture. Mash it and add a few veggies if serving it to the toddler.
Moong Dal Khichdi recipe is prepared using just a handful of ingredients and in no time you can resort to this dish whenever you do not feel like cooking an elaborate spread. This delicious moong dal khichdi for babies is perfect for a weekend to unwind the whole week’s stress. Take a break from the routine meals and prepare this light dish that tastes great and is wonderful for health as well.
If your kids are fussy eaters and you struggle with the feeding conundrum, try the special khichdi recipe that I promise will fulfill their nutritional requirements. What’s more? The kids will come to you asking for more. Made under 20-minutes, this khichdi recipe for babies makes use of the most commonly available ingredients and can be prepared even by a novice cook.
For those unaware, khichdi is a complete meal made with rice and lentils that are pressure cooked together. It’s served with little ghee on top and with a side of yogurt. It’s very easy on your stomach. So, follow this step-by-step recipe to prepare this scrumptious delight and enjoy it with your loved ones.
Hope you guys like this simple khichdi recipe for babies.
6 Different types of khichdi recipe for babies:
1. 3 Tbsp of Slurrp Farm Brown Rice Powder 1. Dry roast moong dal until slightly brown and aromatic. Wash and pressure cook the dal with a pinch of ginger 2. Dry roast Slurrp Farm Brown Rice Powder for 2 minutes and keep aside 3. Transfer the boiled dal to a pan or kadhai. Add brown rice powder and stir continuously. Add salt and turmeric (can also add while cooking the dal) 4. Keep stirring until there are no lumps 5. Heat 1 to 2 tsp ghee in a pan. Saute cumin seeds, crushed black pepper, and curry leaves and temper the khichdi 6. Brown rice Pongal is ready. Serve warm
2. 1/4 Cup Moong Dal
3. 1/4 Tsp of grated ginger
4. 1/2 Tsp cumin seeds
5. 1/2 Tsp of crushed black pepper
6. Curry leaves
7. 1 tsp salt
8. 1 tsp ghee
1. 3 Tbsp of Slurrp Farm Brown Rice Powder
1. Dry roast moong dal until slightly brown and aromatic. Wash and pressure cook the dal with a pinch of ginger
2. Dry roast Slurrp Farm Brown Rice Powder for 2 minutes and keep aside
3. Transfer the boiled dal to a pan or kadhai. Add brown rice powder and stir continuously. Add salt and turmeric (can also add while cooking the dal)
4. Keep stirring until there are no lumps
5. Heat 1 to 2 tsp ghee in a pan. Saute cumin seeds, crushed black pepper, and curry leaves and temper the khichdi
6. Brown rice Pongal is ready. Serve warm
2. Recipe of mixed vegetable moong daal khichdi for babies
1. 3 scoops of Slurrp Farm Mix Veg Moong Dal Khichdi
1. Take 150ml of boiled and cooled water in a pan, add 3 scoops of Slurrp Farm Moong Dal Powder to it
2. Mix well
3. Cook on a low flame, stirring constantly for 2 to 5 minutes till the mixture comes to a boil
4. Turn off the gas, transfer into a bowl and cool the cereal before you feed your baby
3. Brown rice khichdi with carrot puree
1. 2 Tbsp brown rice powder (you can also use Slurrp Farm Brown Rice Powder and follow packet instructions on how to make it).
2. ½ Tbsp moong dal powder (if you don’t have this, add cooked and mashed moong dal).
3. A pinch of asafoetida/hing.
4. A pinch of cumin/jeera powder.
5. A pinch of turmeric powder.
6. Carrot puree (or any other vegetable puree of your choice).
7. Salt – Optional (add salt only if your little one has been introduced to salt).
8. Water to adjust consistency
1. Take a dash of ghee in a saucepan, add asafetida, then add brown rice and moong dal powder, and roast on a low flame till the raw smell goes away.
2. Add jeera powder, turmeric powder, and carrot puree and mix everything together.
3. Add 1 and ½ cup water and cook on a low flame till the rice and dal mixture is cooked through.
4. Keep stirring and adjust the consistency of the khichdi as per your choice.
5. Serve lukewarm for babies.
Variations: You can choose the vegetable of your choice for your child – lauki, pumpkin, and spinach are other variants that you can add to the khichdi.
4. Winter and Summer Vegetables Moong Dal Khichdi
1. 2 Tbsp Slurrp Farm Moong Dal Khichdi Powder
2. ¼ Cup finely chopped boiled carrot
3. ¼ Cup boiled peas
4. 2 Tsp chopped onion
5. ½ Tsp grated ginger
6. One cup vegetable stock
7. 2 Tsp ghee (clarified butter)
8. ¼ Tsp mustard seeds
9. ¼ Tsp cumin seeds
10. One tsp salt
11. ½ Tsp turmeric
12. Few curry leaves
13. Pinch of hing/asafetida
1. Heat 2 tsp ghee in a pan. Add a pinch of hing/asafetida, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and curry leaves, and let it splutter
2. Add chopped onion, grated ginger, and sauté for few seconds
3. Add in the boiled peas and carrot along with salt and turmeric. Saute for some time
4. Add vegetable stock and let it cook for 2 to 3 mins
5. Add the Slurrp Farm moong dal khichdi powder. Stir continuously to avoid forming any lumps. This would take 5 to 6 mins. Serve warm
5. Sabudana khichdi for babies
1. 1/4 cup Soaked sabudana/sago/tapioca pearl
2. 1 tsp ghee/clarified butter
3. A pinch of sarso (mustard seeds)
4. 2 pods crushed garlic
5. 1 tbsp chopped carrot
6. 1 tbsp grated potato
7. 1 tbsp boiled peas
8. 1/4 tsp pepper powder (optional)
9. 1 1/2 cups hot water
1. Add Ghee – 1 tsp, once it melts, adds all the vegetables, such as carrot, peas, potato all in little quantities as required. Now add 2 chopped Garlic pods and Pepper powder – 1/4 tsp. Mix well to allow the ingredients to mix well.
2. Now add soaked sabudana – 1/4 cup and Hot water – 1 1/2 cup. Close the cooker and allow for 2-3 whistles to cook well.
3. Once cooled mix well and it’s ready to serve.
4. Yummy Sabudana khichdi for babies is ready to be served!
6. Oats khichdi
1. 2/3 Cup Slurrp Farm Oats Powder
2. 1/3 Cup of Moong dal
3. A pinch of asafoetida/hing and/or garlic crushed (optional)
4. Clarified butter/Ghee (as per taste)
1. Wash and soak the dal for half an hour, and then add 2/3 cup of Slurrp Farm Oats Powder. Move this mixture to the cooker after draining the water off
2. Add a pinch of asafoetida/hing and/or garlic crushed, along with 3 cups of water. Let this cook for around 3 whistles, and add ghee to the mix, and serve to your little one
1. Wash and soak the dal for half an hour, and then add 2/3 cup of Slurrp Farm Oats Powder. Move this mixture to the cooker after draining the water off.
2. Add a pinch of asafoetida/hing and/or garlic crushed, along with 3 cups of water. Let this cook for around 3 whistles, and add ghee to the mix, and serve to your little one.
4 Reasons why you might want to give the khichdi recipe a try:
1. You feel a cold coming on.
2. You’ve been eating terribly lately and are in need of a detox.
3. You have an upset stomach/tummy ache.
4. You want to eat something easily digestible (a great postpartum dish)