Ragi or nachni is one of the healthiest cereals on earth. And I’m not exaggerating this. This is a source of protein, fiber, calcium, and many more minerals and nutrients. This is a diabetic-friendly cereal. It has no gluten and so if you are gluten allergic, this is for you. You can make many healthy recipes from ragi including both savory and sweet dishes. This is healthy food for kids and toddlers as well. Make ragi porridge for kids. or healthy ragi idli, dosa, crepes, or adai for kids’ tiffin box.
You can make all the preparation of the idli at night and refrigerate the batter so that your morning is stress-free. Ragi is one of the whole grains we regularly eat at home. So, I make a lot of ragi recipes that keep rotating between breakfast and dinner. Feeding toddlers has never been easy. No one has escaped from the unkind world of toddler tantrums. If your child is over 1 year old, you can try these quick and easy instant ragi idli for babies.
Instant ragi idli recipe:
1. 1 cup idli rice or parboiled rice
2. 5 cups water
3. 1/4th cup thick poha
4. ½ cup urad dal
5. ¼ tsp fenugreek seeds
6. 1 cup ragi flour or Slurrp Farm Ragi powder
1. Take 1 cup idli rice or parboiled rice. Rinse the rice well and add 1.5 cups water and set aside.
2. Rinse 1/4th cup thick poha.
3. Add the rinsed poha to the rice bowl and mix well.
4. Now in a bowl take ½ cup urad dal and ¼ tsp fenugreek seeds. Rinse and soak in 1 cup water for 4-5 hours.
5. After 4-5 hours grind the soaked urad daal and fenugreek seeds in a blender till you get smooth fluffy batter by gradually adding ½ cup water.
6. Separately grind the soaked rice and Poha with ¾ cups water till you get smooth or granular consistency batter.
7. Take 1 cup ragi flour.
8. In a bowl mix both the batters till they blend well. Mix the ragi flour well till it all comes together. Make sure there are no lumps. Cover the bowl let it ferment overnight. (8-9 hours depending on the temperature).
9. Add salt to the batter as required.
10. Next day add salt to the fermented batter.
11. Grease the idli mould with oil. Pour the batter into Idli mould.
12. Steam the Idlis in the Idli cooker / Steamer for 10-15 minutes. Your Idlis are ready when you insert a toothpick in the center of the Idli and it comes out clean.
13. Let the idlis stand in the moulds for 3-4 minutes. Apply some oil to the tip of a knife and take out the idlis from the moulds.
14. Serve the idlis warm with fresh coconut chutney.
Do share with us your recipes and creations and also your child’s reactions. Each child a unique set of taste buds and what appeals to one may not appeal to the other. But with a series of trail and errors, you will definitely succeed at feeding this superfood to your child. All the best and do let us know how it went!