BY AYESHA NALLASETH
If you’re a fan of fruit in your dessert, you’re going to love today’s recipe of pineapple upside-down cake. It has a soft, fluffy, and simple vanilla cake base that uses only the most basic ingredients and a pretty topping of fresh pineapple. It’s an easy dessert recipe that should be a staple in your baking repertoire.
But first, what is an upside-down cake?
This dessert is literally named for how it is baked. The fruit, butter, and sugar (we have used natural sugar in our recipe) are placed at the bottom of the baking pan. The cake batter is poured on top of it and then the whole thing is baked.
Once out of the oven, the cake is flipped upside-down, and that reveals the real magic – juicy pineapple and cherries in a caramelized mosaic-like pattern that looks less like a cake and more like a work of art.
So how do you make an eggless cake? Here’s the recipe:
For the cake batter:
1. 1 box Slurrp Farm Vanilla Cake Mix
2. 120 ml warm water
3. 60 ml yogurt
4. 30 ml butter
5. 1 pineapple
6. 5-8 cherries- deseeded
7. 2 tbsp Slurrp Farm Jaggery Powder
8. 1 tbsp butter
For baking pineapple upside-down cake using vanilla cake batter
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius. Line your preferred cake mould
2. Cut the skinned pineapple into 1 cm thick roundels and using the smallest cutter, core the center and keep aside
3. Melt the butter and add Slurrp Farm Jaggery Powder to the same. Pour the mix in the lined cake mould
4. Arrange the pineapple and cherries over the poured cake mix
For the vanilla cake batter:
1. Wisk the warm water, yogurt and butter together
2. Then add the raw unrefined sugar (sachet 1) and vanilla cake mix (sachet 2) from the Slurrp Farm cake mix box) to the above liquid
3. Whisk the batter well ensuring no lumps are formed. Add 3 tbsp pineapple roundels (that have been leftover from slicing the pineapple) to the batter and mix well in the batter. Pour the batter in the prepared cake mould
4. Bake for 35 – 40 minutes till golden brown. Allow the cake to completely cool down and then demould the cake
5. You can serve the cake warm or cold