BY DIPANDITA DUTTA
This monsoon, your little ones are guaranteed the soft, sweet, nutty biscotti-like flavored oats powder cookies. Enjoy this eggless, stress-less cookie recipe with a cuppa, milk, tea, and even otherwise as a healthy evening snack.
How to make eggless cookies using oats powder – chewy and tasty?
If you thought eggless cookies made from oatmeal powder can’t be chewy and yummy, then perhaps you’ve been eating the wrong kind of eggless cookies all this while.
It could also be that you’ve had access to too many of the ‘extra-crunchy, but dry cookies and you thought it’s because they are made without eggs. An egg provides moisture, richness, and flavor – agree. But it turns out, whole milk and even flaxseeds as a substitute is a hunch you should have tried out a long time ago. So, here’s my no-fuss, yummy eggless cookies! It’s rather simple. The magic of ingredients, as well as their quality, makes a huge difference.
Of all the oats powder recipes, a batch of freshly baked oatmeal powder cookies steals the show. Made with whole grains- whole flour and are packed with fiber, loaded with the benefits of organic jaggery powder, eggless, and easy to make with basic pantry ingredients. I have also used butter here but you can use ghee (clarified butter). Just substitute an equal amount of ghee in the recipe and follow the same steps.
Oats powder benefits:
Oats are a rich source of beta-glucan fibre which is easy on the stomach and helps regulate bowel movements.
Certain antioxidants are almost exclusively found in oats which aid in dilating blood vessels, leading to better blood flow.
Soluble fibers and vitamins present in oats help reduce LDL cholesterol (the “bad” kind) and in general, help keep the body clean.
Oatmeal daliya/porridge is not only healthy but also filling. Lesser number of calories!
How to make oat flour at home?
Just pour oats into your blender and blend until the oats have turned into a thin fine flour, or purchase Slurrp Farm Organic Oats Powder.
The recipe of oats powder cookies is free of refined sugar. They are sweetened with jaggery (unrefined sugar obtained from raw, concentrated sugarcane juice). If you don’t have jaggery, you may use brown sugar in place. I also packed in some nuts (chopped cashews and almonds) in the cookies for that crunch. You may use Slurrp Farm Nuts Powder, instead!
Three characteristics I look for in oatmeal eggless cookies:
1. Slow bend
2. Chewy goodness
3. And ultra-soft
(Check, check, and check)
These oats jaggery cookies have a slightly crisp edge with a soft center that would prevent them from immediately breaking when you bend it. And of course, the ultimate way to enjoy these cookies is while the batch is still fresh, warm from the oven. The process can be amped up with a tall glass of ice-cold, creamy whole milk or warm, perhaps.
The dough for these cookies is quite sticky. Please remember – it’s supposed to be that way. Just pinch the dough as hard and as much as possible. Make tiny blobs and balls, back it up by flattening them to make awesome oats powder cookies.
How to store these cookies:
1. Let the cookies cool down on a wire rack once they are baked.
2. Then place in an airtight container and store at room temperature.
3. They should stay good for 2 weeks at least.
Eggless Oats Powder Cookies
1. 100 gm of Slurrp Farm Oats Powder
2. 120 gm of whole-wheat flour
3. 100 gm of Slurrp Farm Organic Jaggery Powder
4. 115 gm of unsalted butter
5. 1 tsp of baking powder
6. 1/4 cup of chopped nuts
7. 2 -3 tbsp of milk
8. 1/2 tsp of salt
1. Mix whole wheat flour (atta), Slurrp Farm Oatsl Powder, salt, and baking powder together and keep aside. Mix well until well combined.
2. Transfer butter and Slurrp Farm Jaggery Powder in a bowl.
3. Using an electric beater or manual whisk, beat for 2 to 3 minutes until well combined and creamy. Make sure that butter is at room temperature.
4. To the butter add jaggery mix, add milk spoon by spoon to make the butter mixture fluffier.
5. Add oats flour mix.
6. Add vanilla essence and mix together all the ingredients.
7. Finally, add the chopped nuts and mix until the sticky cookie dough is formed. Add a few tsps of milk if required.
8. Using an ice-cream scooper or with a tablespoon, scoop out ball-sized portions and roll to form a round-shaped cookie.
9. You can also use a cookie cutter to give the desired shape as you like. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
10. Place the cookie balls on the tray and gently press to flatten them. Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 20 to 22 minutes.
Told you that I guarantee the softest and chewiest oats powder cookie.
Don’t they look tempting? Try these mouth-watering cookies and share with us on Instagram @slurrpfarm
Is oat flour really gluten-free?
Yes, but only if you buy certified gluten-free oat flour. A small percentage of people with celiac disease or gluten intolerance are usually sensitive to the protein found in oats. We recommend speaking to your child’s pediatrician if you observe mild symptoms of celiac disease in your child. As always, consult with the healthcare providers.