BY DIPANDITA DUTTA
Being cooped up at home isn’t easy or fun, and there’s a lot of stress and anxiety these days as well. Who knows how much longer this will go on? I try to distract myself with cooking. But not just any kind of cooking, but something offbeat and healthy. Today, I will be experimenting with quesadillas, a quick evening snack made out of finger millet or ragi.
“Queso” in Spanish means “cheese”, and the literal translation of “quesadilla” is “little cheesy thing”! As a dish, the quesadilla has evolved and changed over the years, thanks to people’s many experiments and versions. A traditional Mexican quesadilla uses tortillas, which are a kind of flatbread made with corn. But for this recipe, I am using my very own chapati made using sprouted ragi powder and whole wheat flour. This works the same way a tortilla would, but it has added health benefits. Between ragi and whole wheat flour, you get all the health benefits of calcium, iron, fiber, and other nutrients.
This healthy ragi recipe also includes the goodness of spinach. The quesadilla filling contains sauteed vegetables and melted cheese folded into a chapati. And the whole thing takes only 15 minutes to make. Now, what’s not to like about that?
Try this easy and quick evening snack, that the family is sure to love. Here’s the recipe
1. 1 cup Slurrp Farm sprouted ragi powder
2. 1 cup whole wheat flour
3. 1 cup chopped spinach
4. ½ cup corn
5. ¼ cup chopped onion
6. ½ cup grated cheese
7. Salt – ½ tsp salt
8. ½ tsp black pepper powder
9. 1 tbsp butter or oil
1. In a bowl, mix the sprouted ragi powder, whole wheat flour, and a pinch of salt, then add boiling hot water and mix it all using a spoon. Knead to form a tight dough
2. In a pan, heat the butter or oil, then saute the onion for 2 mins. Add the corn, spinach, salt, and black pepper. Sauté on medium heat for a couple of minutes. Add 2 tbsp milk and let the veggies cook well
3. Make roundels of the ragi dough and roll them out to form chapatis. Cook them on both sides for 30 seconds to a minute
4. Add 1 tsp of cheese in one part of the chapatti. Layer it with spinach and corn stuffing. Then add one more layer of cheese. Fold the wrap. Grill on a tawa for 1 to 2 mins. Cut into halves and serve hot with fresh salad