This pandemic feels like a cooking sabbatical where I have been just savoring my mother’s cooking. It was time I made something healthy that I could enjoy guilt-free. Light on the stomach but crunchy to bite into, these iron-rich crackers make one of the best healthy snacking options.
Guilt-free snacking options. Buy now.
Product used for making the snack crackers:
This batch of homemade snack crackers is made with wholesome ragi which lend it iron and an exotic aroma. I bought my ragi powder from Slurrp Farm however you can also sprout your own ragi at home. Here’s how you can do it. The first time I sprouted my own ragi it took me close to 144 hours (not to mention the cumbersome process). However, buying fresh organic ragi seemed pretty simple and easy. Also, ragi is a great weaning food and can be given in the form of porridge, khichdi, or soup. The bulkiness of the fibers and the slower digestion rate make one feel fuller on fewer calories and therefore helps prevent excess caloric consumption.
Personalize the recipe:
Snack crackers are guilt-free which can be made in different ways to suit your tastes and sensibilities by varying the flours and the oils used. You could use sesame oil with sesame seeds, skip the seeds altogether or use other seeds and use different flour variations or make it with plain flour. Add spices like carom or cumin. These are just a few ideas to get you started and come up with a creation that is uniquely yours. These healthy crackers are delicious quick bites that keep well if stored in an air-tight container. Quick to make, they are sure to be a winner with your family. Do try!
1. ½ cup of Slurrp Farm Organic Sprouted Ragi Powder
2. ½ cup of whole wheat flour
3. ¾ tsp of baking powder
4. 1 tbsp of sesame seeds
4. ½ tsp of black pepper
5. ¾ tsp of oregano or mixed herbs
6. Salt (Optional to taste)
7. 2 tsp of ghee/clarified butter
8. Water as required
1. Into a bowl, mix ragi flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, sesame seeds, black pepper, oregano and salt to taste. Now add ghee and mix it in the dry ingredients.
2. Gradually add water into the bowl and knead the dough. Use hands to knead dough like chapati dough.
3. Set the dough aside for 10 mins.
4. Pinch out some dough to make small balls and roll into thin Chapati without using any flour for rolling. Make it as thin as possible to get crispy crackers.
5. Once rolled out, poke all over using a fork to avoid crackers from puffing.
6. Now cut it into the desired shape using a knife, pizza cutter, or cookie-cutter like I did.
7. Preheat the oven at 180 °C and line the cookie tray with parchment paper.
8. Transfer the cutouts to the tray and let it bake for 20-20 mins. Baking time depends on the thickness of the crackers. So, keep an eye on them while baking the first batch.
9. Allow them to cool completely and serve with cucumber dip or store in an airtight container for longer use.
Garnish our healthy ragi sesame crackers with your favorite cheese and toppings or your favorite dip! Ragi is a superfood loaded with iron, calcium, and protein and sesame seeds are rich in antioxidants. It’s time to eat better while watching your health.